Dyslexia Institute of Southern
New Mexico, Inc
- Enabling Minds to Grow -
We are a teaching/therapy organization for students who are bright but have an unexpected difficulty with reading and/or math. Up to 20% of the U.S. population suffers from some degree of dyslexia. Reading capability is a requirement for success. Dyslexia is devastating, but it doesn't have to be. With proper multisensory remediation, almost all dyslexics can be taught to read. If therapy begins early enough, 80% will read well.
Characteristics Which May Accompany Dyslexia:
* Difficulty isolating and identifying sounds in words, syllables, and rhymes.
* Difficulty with word identification. Trouble comprehending what is read.
* Difficulty with spelling, especially remembering the order of letters.
* Problems with handwriting. Reversals of letters. Unclear about right or left handedness.
* Problems in math related to the order of numbers, the sequence of steps in a problem, or the language of mathematics and directionality.
* Difficulty putting thoughts into words; written or spoken.
* Delays in learing to speak and in using age- appropriate language.
* Confusion of directions in space or time (e.g. right/left, up/down, yesterday/tomorrow).
Dyslexia Institute of Southern New Mexico, Inc.
Classes at: Unity Church, 125 Wyatt, Las Cruces, NM
If you can not see the PDF files, go to the Adobe website to download a free PDF reader. When you leave this DISNM main page to read a PDF, you may use the back arrow in the upper left corner to return to main page.
The information on this site (http://www.disnm.org) is posted by the Dyslexia Instiute of Southern New Mexico, Las Cruces, New Mexico. When information on this site is accessed from another URL, the appearance of DISNM information does not imply endorsement or support of surrounding content. Links from the DISNM site do not necessarily imply endorsement of the linked site.
Copyright 2011, 2012 and 2013 by Dyslexia Institute of Southern New Mexico, Inc.
See our news page for information on how to support DISNM when you shop at AMAZON.com!
Oksana Martinez, a Mayor's Top Teen 2013 with Ellen Saige, DISNM Executive Director and Therapist.
Oksana participates in numerous service projects for her school, her church and her community.
Oksana was diagnosed with dyslexia at a young age after her teachers saw that she had difficulties in reading, listening and learning. She has put extraordinary effort into her academic work. Oksana spent hours each week with a Dyslexia Therapist in order to learn the strategies she needs to succeed in spite of her disability. When she meets other students with dyslexia, she encourages them with her "can-do" attitude and mentors them by sharing organization and study strategies.