Welcome to our redesigned website!
We are a teaching/therapy organization for students who are
bright but have an unexpected difficulty with reading and/or math. Up to 20%
of the U.S. population suffers from some degree of dyslexia. Reading capability
is a requirement for success. Dyslexia is devastating, but it doesn't have to be.
With proper multi-sensory remediation, almost all dyslexics can be taught to read.
If therapy begins early enough, 80% will read well.
Characteristics Which May Accompany Dyslexia:
* Difficulty isolating and identifying sounds in words, syllables, and rhymes.
* Difficulty with word identification. Trouble comprehending what is read.
* Difficulty with spelling, especially remembering the order of letters.
* Problems with handwriting. Reversals of letters. Unclear about right or left handedness.
* Problems in math related to the order of numbers, the sequence of steps in a problem, or the language of mathematics and directionality.
* Difficulty putting thoughts into words; written or spoken.
* Delays in learning to speak and in using age- appropriate language.
* Confusion of directions in space or time (e.g. right/left, up/down, yesterday/tomorrow).
Dyslexia Institute of Southern New Mexico, Inc.
1320 South Solano (FYI Bldg)
Contact: Cell (575) 649-2992
Contact: Ellen Saige, Executive
Director and Therapist